Monday, May 4, 2009

Why are labels important?

One question that might come up at this point is: "why bother with labels anyway?"  There is a fast-growing segment of Christians in the United States who do not identify with any kind of denomination or group.  A recent survey indicates a growth in their numbers from less than 200,000 in 1990 to over 8 million today (link here).  These nondenominationals (I used to be one) tend to look down on any other label than "Christian."  They don't want to be known as "Baptists," or "Presbyterians," or "Methodists," but instead would prefer to simply be called "Christian."  Others have gone farther and prefer to be called "Christ-followers" or "followers of Jesus" because of some of the negative connotations that have become attached to the "Christian" label.

In my previous post I threw out a few other labels: nominal, fundamentalist, evangelical.  Why is it important to call yourself something anyway?  Well, I felt similarly to others coming out of my background in the generic evangelicalism of nondenominational Christianity, and I wondered why I needed a label myself.  It was through my time in graduate theological education in a mainline seminary where I became increasingly aware of the importance of labels.  In this milieu where others had been raised since birth in a form of Christianity where they would call themselves by their denominational name instead of "Christian," I had to figure out what I actually believed anyway.  It wasn't long before I began to understand that there was no such thing as a generic evangelicalism, or the simple label "Christian."  This type of thinking denies the historical and theological background that lies behind the beliefs and practices of every form of Christianity - including the "generic" versions.  Really, this is a viewpoint born of hegemony and homogeneity.  But, when the "Christian" radio stations, the "Christian" bookstores, and the rest of the evangelical ghetto culture all reinforces your generic evangelical beliefs, it's tough to break out to see the historical situatedness of what you think and practice.

So, for me, this meant understanding that I was really a closet Baptist of sorts.  In that, much of what I believed about sacraments/ordinances (baptism, communion, etc.), polity (church government), ecclesiology (the doctrine of the church), and even soteriology (the doctrine of salvation) was essentially Baptist.  I liked to think that my beliefs had essentially popped into existence right after the events of Acts 26, but instead I had to come to grips with how they emerged over time and see how I fit into the historical continuity of the Christian tradition.

So, yes, I think labels are important.  They show how we are situated in culture and history.  They help us recognize that our beliefs are but one of many types of belief, and they help to deconstruct the idea that there is only one right way of belief.  They provide us with humility by showing how we are all part of a tradition.  They connect us with others who have shared our beliefs before us, and they allow for dialogue by differentiating us from others who assume different labels today.  The downside to labels is that they can be used exclusively (i.e. if you do not claim the same label that I do - then you are an outsider and I disagree with you).  But, I think labels are helpful when used in a spirit of humility.

2 comments:

  1. "Now, dear brothers and sisters, I appeal to you by the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ to stop arguing among yourselves. Let there be real harmony so there won't be divisions in the church. I plead with you to be of one mind, united in thought and purpose. For some members of Chloe's household have told me about your arguments, dear brothers and sisters. Some of you are saying, "I am a follower of Paul." Others are saying, "I follow Apollos," or "I follow Peter," or "I follow only Christ." Can Christ be divided into pieces? Was I, Paul, crucified for you? Were any of you baptized in the name of Paul?" (1 Cor. 1:10-13)

    "As the Scriptures say, 'I will destroy human wisdom and discard their most brilliant ideas.' So where does this leave the philosophers, the scholars, and the world's brilliant debaters? God has made them all look foolish and has shown their wisdom to be useless nonsense. Since God in his wisdom saw to it that the world would never find him through human wisdom, he has used our foolish preaching to save all who believe." (1 Cor. 1:19-21)

    "Dear brothers and sisters, when I first came to you I didn't use lofty words and brilliant ideas to tell you God's message. For I decided to concentrate only on Jesus Christ and his death on the cross. I came to you in weakness--timid and trembling. And my message and my preaching were very plain. I did not use wise and persuasive speeches, but the Holy Spirit was powerful among you. I did this so that you might trust the power of God rather than human wisdom." (1 Cor. 2:1-5)

    "When one of you says, "I am a follower of Paul," and another says, "I prefer Apollos," aren't you acting like those who are not Christians? Who is Apollos, and who is Paul, that we should be the cause of such quarrels? Why, we're only servants. Through us God caused you to believe. Each of us did the work the Lord gave us. My job was to plant the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God, not we, who made it grow. The ones who do the planting or watering aren't important, but God is important because he is the one who makes the seed grow. The one who plants and the one who waters work as a team with the same purpose. Yet they will be rewarded individually, according to their own hard work. We work together as partners who belong to God. You are God's field, God's building--not ours. Because of God's special favor to me, I have laid the foundation like an expert builder. Now others are building on it. But whoever is building on this foundation must be very careful. For no one can lay any other foundation than the one we already have--Jesus Christ." (1 Cor. 3:4-11)

    "Don't you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?... So don't take pride in following a particular leader. Everything belongs to you: Paul and Apollos and Peter [fn]; the whole world and life and death; the present and the future. Everything belongs to you, and you belong to Christ, and Christ belongs to God." (1 Cor. 3:16, 21-23)

    *****
    So, in the midst of our divisions, how do we come together as God's temple? What is the answer to stop the contradicting and line-drawing? What if the early believers hadn't wasted so much time, comparing themselves to other believers because of who they followed? Why was it so important to them to announce to everyone, which person they followed? What was the benefit to the church of these announcements and divisions? What was the detriment to that church?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous - those are some good questions, and I don't know that I can answer them all. But let me take a shot at the spirit of your questions.

    First, I think we have to take it as a given that different people and different groups of people are going to have varying opinions on issues of great importance. This is true not only in Christianity, but also in politics, other religions, philosophy, scientific theories, parenting, and so on. If unity must consist in everyone adhering to the same set of doctrines - then it is a fairy tale that can never be realized.

    So, in the passages you listed, clearly scripture is getting at something other than everyone believing the same thing or bearing the same label (or lack thereof). Scripture itself bears witness to the variety of Christian beliefs and theologies in the early church. Peter, Paul, James, and Luke (among the many other NT authors) did not share completely similar theological emphases. You can find many similarities that bind them together, but each provide their own unique stamp and contribution to the story and theology of the early church.

    So... why are labels important, and how can they be used rightly? I think part of the answer is in the last couple sentences in my post: they have to be used with humility and not to emphasize exclusivity. That's part of what the "I follow Paul, I follow Apollos, etc." passage is about. There, those labels are being used in an exclusive sense - to mark distinctions between groups that reinforce who is "in" and who is "out." If you follow Paul you are "in," but if you follow Apollos you are "out." Maybe a better way to understand how labels can function is to see the unique contributions that the group that bears each label makes to Christianity.

    One book that I really like in this regard is Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren. Here, he kind of picks and chooses from the various aspects that he likes in each Christian tradition (i.e. the passion of the pentecostals, the evangelism of evangelicals, the social justice in other groups, etc.). There is a danger in that too of believing that you transcend all labels and denying your rootedness, but overall I like the spirit in which the book is written.

    I don't know if this answers your question. But, I would say, claiming a label isn't bad. We all have one (or many). The issue is maybe more around recognizing what it is and what that means for you. That was how it worked for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete